Living in this fast paced world leaves most people with no or very little time for visiting the gym and keeping physically fit. Consequently even though there is an increased awareness about health and fitness, most people are not able to do justice to it. But with dumbbells, it is possible for all to achieve a sound and strong body by exercising even at home.
Adjustable dumbbells have increased the utility and benefits of regularly using dumbbells by perfectly complimenting other fitness activities with regards to weight loss, muscle development etc.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Darden, Ellington (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 312 Pages - 11/15/2003 (Publication Date) - Rodale Books (Publisher)
Features of adjustable dumbbells
With adjustable dumbbells, it is possible to concentrate on a variety of fitness programs and hence they need to be chosen with care so as to take maximum advantage. Some of the features which need to be concentrated on are:
- Total sets of weights available: The idea behind getting an adjustable dumbbell is to replace multiple sets of the fixed style dumbbell. The weights that need to be adjusted depend on the user else the whole exercise routine would prove to be detrimental for the person thereby leading to back pains, shoulder imbalances etc. For the casual lifter, a smaller weight is required while a heavy lifter would need more weights.
- Adjusting mechanism: This should be easy to use so that weight switches can be facilitated quickly. If this is not taken care of, the body would need adjusting every time a new weight is added leading to a waste of time and energy.
- Material quality: Buying new dumbbells every year is not a very feasible option and hence care should be taken to ensure that the one purchased is made from a metal which is sturdy and durable. While this may prove to be a bit expensive, it will be safe to use since those made with plastics have a tendency to break when training with extra weights. Saving money here is not an option since the safety of the user would get compromised in the process.
- Dumbbell stand or rack: This is a mandatory accompaniment here since the number of weights is more and need to be neatly and safely stored. It is also easy to take them off the racks while exercising especially for people with back problems. Thus the dumbbell stand needs to be chosen with care so that they can be properly utilised both for exercises and also to store the weights.
Benefits of adjustable dumbbells
These extremely practical weight training equipments are of great help in facilitating weight loss and strengthening the muscles. There are many other benefits associated with them too like:
- They are an extremely practical solution especially when weight training at home,
- They are easy on the joints and hence make exercising almost painless,
- They make sure that both limbs do equal amount of work by putting equal pressure on them individually,
- They can also be made to concentrate on one particular side or limb of the body by adding extra weights or subtracting weights from one side,
- Muscle development can be maximised using adjustable dumbbells since weights used can be made to differ as per convenience and choice,
- They are easy, convenient and safe to work with especially if the user has no one to help him out with the addition and subtraction of weights etc.,
- They are inexpensive since a variety of weight options can be bought in one go and storage of these multiple weights is also easier.
Top brands selling adjustable dumbbells
Some of the top brands which sell dumbbells with adjustable weights are:
- Body Maxxetc.